Tips on how to protect your personal information:
I. Avoid sharing personal and sensitive information.
- Personal Information:
-Date and Place of birth
-Mother’s maiden name
-Name of employer
- Sensitive Personal Information:
– Credit/ Debit Card details
– User Credentials (Username, Password)
– Data seen in Government IDs
II. Be on the look-out for fake websites or malicious emails
- Check for any misspellings, unusual words or special characters before or after the company’s name, and URLs with unusual endings, like “gcash.it” instead of “com”.
- Look for padlock in the Address bar.
- Look for “https://” at the beginning of address URL. If site is listed as “http://”, it could be a clue that it’s a fake website.
- Check the sender’s email address. Sender may be unknown or with incorrect address.
- Emails that give high sense of urgency such as asking to confirm account details and re-submit account information to avail of promo
- Emails that lead to more fake websites.
- Emails that does not include your personal name or addresses you as simply “GCash Customer”.
- Also check out any misspelled words and bad grammar in the body of email.
- Think before you click! Don’t just open attachments from possible malicious or fake emails.